Tuesday 12 July 2011

Flat mates.

Taken in May - This matches my mood today.


So I've lived on my own for about 5 years now. Over the past few months I've been thinking that actually it might be quite nice to have a flat mate (read - I need to economise).
A conversation with a friend on the subject got my thinking about what qualities I would look for in a potential flat mate... and also what I should tell them - or warn them? - about my living habits.
Soooo. I thought I'd make a list!


Potential flat mate must -
  • Read! FHM, Mens Health and The Sport DO NOT count. You much read actual books. Ideally classic literature - I get through books at an alarming rate and I'm always on the look out for a book recommendation. Or if you have a book I can borrow, even better! This makes it sound like I'm a book snob but I'm really not. I read Star by Pamela Anderson and I enjoyed it! 
  • Be okay with cats. I have a cat. She is white. I will supply lint rollers as and when needed.
  • Be able to discourse on politics, sexism, history, feminism, and lots of other things that end in -ism.   
  • Be able to cope with the fact that sometimes I suffer from insomnia so will be pottering round at all hours. I have also been known to hoover at 4am. 
  • Not tell me about my odd behaviour. Hey, do you really think that I don't know that eating half a block of cheese out of the wrapper for dinner while stood in-front of the open fridge is weird? I am aware of this thanks!! 
  • Cook sometimes! I love cooking like but I don't want to have to do it all the time. Or at least procure us some takeout or something.
  • Ideally be good at 'man-tasks'. Whether you are male or not. I'm fucking sick of putting my own shelves up. And changing fuses. 
  • Also be able to cope with the fact I rarely make tea or coffee - I hardly drink them. I also drink juice from the carton. If you drink it after me I'm pretty sure you won't die. 
  • Have a tv, microwave, toaster, kettle. I have none of these things. 
  • Drink! The thing I miss most about living with other people is social booze time in the living room. 
  • Not constantly bitch about your job, the weather, life, how hungover you are. Go post it on facebook yeah? It would drive me to murder/suicide. 
Oh I thought of another one! I have genius/insane ideas. I like to share them. If they're insane please talk me down. But if they are genius you have to up for getting involved! 

Hmmm. I wonder if I'll actually be able to find a flat mate that could put up with me? Angry night-owl that eats/drinks straight from the fridge... but hey, I cook a damn good risotto.

5 comments:

  1. I would be your perfect flatmate since I am also an angry night-owl with a severe fondness for cheese. I can't put up shelves or change fuses but I know men who can.

    I think you'll find that once you live with roommates again you'll long for the days when you could pee with the door open and wander around in your undies whilst scratching your ass. That's how I felt anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, finding a flat mate seems pretty hard to me at this point, but I'm sure you'll be lucky enough to find one, hopefully having the same tastes :)

    All the posts, whether outfit posts or just writing are simply amazing and the name of the blog is really original! I was wonderring if you would have time to check mine, possibly follow each other? Hope we keep in touch!
    Mary from http://teenfashiondiary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, aw, I love your personality traits! We totally don't have a lot in common from what I'm reading, but you're definitely one of those people I'd love to know. You seem like someone that knows a lot of interesting things.
    As for living with someone... ugh. I'm fussy with people and get annoyed pretty quickly. I don't think I'd be able to live with anyone except for my boyfriend, unless they're as neat as I am. I'm a neat freak and hate it when other people make a mess.

    x Michelle | thefeatherden.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Bird - Ahh you sound like the perfect flatmate! I think what I'm looking for is a partner in crime. I'm a big fan of peeing with the door open... my main worry is that I move in with someone and then straight away wish I'd stayed living alone.

    Mary - Thank you for your lovely words :) I'll pop over and check out your blog. I'm sure I'll keep everyone update with what ends up happening!

    Michelle - Haha thank you hun :) I'm so use to living alone I'm not sure how well I'll adjust. I also dislike it when other people make a mess! Especially when it's so easy not too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the perfect roomie is one you'll always miss when they're gone. however, the wrong roomies are the ones that will drive you to homicide. and i also eat cheese while drinking oj out of the carton :)

    ReplyDelete